In John 18:11Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"Yesterday I found out my job was being eliminated. This was sudden, but not unexpected given the economic downturn of late, and the difficulties I have had adjusting to a highly-regulated software development process. Then theirs that "inner Amishman" that cries out, sitting at a desk when I'd so much rather be preaching, teaching Bible, writing, outdoors working by the sweat of the brow. I need a career change, I think, though it may adversely affect my income.
The difficulty was coming home and telling my family, who are someone over the shock of moving from Chicago in '05 and then from Richmond to Charlottesville in '08. They really, really don't want to move again, and I'm of the same mind. But as I told them, if the Lord so directs, we will move every year. That's what I said, and they know I meant it. It's not what we want. But the Lord's will be done.
Josh, my oldest, was so distraught last night with the prospect of me being unemployed and perhaps moving for a new job, that he urged me to "make finding a new job your first priority." This is encouraging, not merely because it comes from a son (who is also looking for his first job), but that he cares about me and wants me to do what is best. I love him so much.
I also know that the Lord will provide. So I will ask, seek and knock and believe that God will not fail to help me. "No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame." That is my belief. That is my confidence.
But for the moment, I must drink the cup the Father has given me. To Jesus, the cup of suffering was so much greater than my present hardship, that I feel out of place mentioning them in the same sentence. Anyway, I will not fight back or defend myself, as my Lord did not, but bade Simon "put your sword away." Rather, how to drink this? I clearly must not worry, nor allow myself to be testy and harsh at home to my family, nor depressed or moody, nor chinchy. I have too many friends to start making enemies. And I thank God for each of them.
May God help me to drink hardships with grace as my Lord did, and so glorify Him before men.
No comments:
Post a Comment